Friday, February 26, 2016

Jennifer Allen, Episcopal Church delegate to the UNCSW

The Episcopal Women’s Caucus and The Episcopal Church Women are pleased to announce a joint initiative to support our Episcopal Delegates to the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women to be held this year, March 14-24. Each week we will post the story of a delegate that we are supporting and invite you to contribute as you are able by going to the EWC website and clicking on the  EWC "Margo Fund"

Here is Jennifer Allen's story. See other stories in older posts.


I am from the Diocese of Kansas and I live on the Kansas side of the Kansas City metropolitan area. I have attended St. Michael and All Angels Church for almost 40 years. I've been involved in a variety of ministries, but my experience with Kansas to Kenya has been the most transformative. Kansas to Kenya is a mission initiative which provides community and medical support to communities in and around the Kenyan Diocese of Nakuru, based on the UN's Sustainable Development Goals. I have helped to support the Agatha Amani House, a shelter for victims of domestic violence, and coordinate Women's Seminars for the past 4 years. I will be going to Kenya for the 5th time this year, which is the 10th anniversary of K2K.

Through my work in Kenya, I have become acutely aware of the connection between the status of women and the success of a country. Women who are denied education, health care, safety, and dignity are unable to significantly improve their economic condition. Women who are empowered members of their communities are able to effectively work for sustainable, long-term change. The lessons I have learned in Kenya, are applicable in the United States as well, as we continue to work for equal education, equity of pay, and domestic safety here at home.

It is the interconnectedness of women's issues globally that makes me so excited and thankful to have the opportunity to meet with women from around the country and the world, to debate, pray, work, and craft language that will impact the future of women around the world. Although we are just getting to know each other, I can tell that the chance to work with the Episcopal Delegation to the UNCSW will be life changing for me, and will enhance my own ministry. I am hopeful that I will gain new resources to help my work with the women of Kenya and to assist with new mission opportunities working with women in and around Kansas City who are victims of human trafficking. The work to improve the status of women is immense and it takes each of us, one day at a time, one mission at a time, to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.


Thank you for whatever support you are able to provide. Please feel free to share my story however you feel is appropriate. Don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions. I have also attached an article published in The Harvest, our diocesan magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment